Thursday, June 23, 2005

Here a little there a little

It's the Thursday before pride. I have been think about what this all means. It's so weird to me. I am glad we have this opportunity to share in our community. People hate that word - community. I have heard people say what community. So I was curious and looked it up:

com·mu·ni·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (k-myn-t)
n. pl. com·mu·ni·ties

A group of people living in the same locality and under the same government.
The district or locality in which such a group lives.

A group of people having common interests: the scientific community; the international business community.
A group viewed as forming a distinct segment of society: the gay community; the community of color.

Similarity or identity: a community of interests.
Sharing, participation, and fellowship.
Society as a whole; the public.


This will be my first gay pride in Chicago. I am hoping for a really impressive display of our diverse community.

I have been wondering as of late why being gay is such a weird thing.

For one thing, our country is so divided on the issue. The fact that people even debate whether it's ok or not. What psychological damage is being done, when half of the population thinks you are satan returning to destroy the earth. They always talk about sex acts. But most people I know, gay or straight, don't define themselves by what they do in the bedroom. Homosexuality has so little to do with the act itself. It's about everything else. The ironic thing about all this is most gay people I know, including myself, are so in tune with other people's feelings. I think you have to be to survive the coming out process.

No comments: